Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tutorial 3

How do I use new communication technologies to communicate with my friends and family?

I have been using the internet for 10 years now. I have never been interested in meeting people on the internet, because it makes me feel uncomfortable that I can never be sure, who is on the other side. But, I use the internet in many other ways.

When I was a little girl, the only way of communication with those who were far away was letter-writing. It took a lot of time to write and post a letter, and the delivery was very slow. We only could see each other if we attached photos to our writing. If we wanted to hear the other person’s voice we could call them, but we never could see and hear them in the same time.

Now it is so easy. We just open up our laptops and write letters, one after another and the addressee can get it immediately. Now it is not a problem to see and hear our loved ones at the same time.

I am so far away from my home, so “Skype” is a huge help for me. I just put on my headset and talk to my family and friends as much as I like. If we want to see each other we just turn on our web cameras. And if we are in the mood of writing, we can chat by typing in the words.

But not only the internet gives us fast access to the ones we miss. I can write a text message (sms) to my Hungarian friends whenever I like and they can send me one, when ever they like. It’s very simple. If I would like to show something immediately to someone who is not with me, I just send an mms with a picture or a video.

No comments: